Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Off Topic on Adult (=regenerative) cell technology, but very much related i.e. pills and drugs of which we do not know if they work
  • Page:

TOPIC: Vitamin D deficiency and its possible implications

Vitamin D deficiency and its possible implications 26 Mar 2015 10:45 #3972

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1115
I was planning to share all the stuff that I have on file on OA, including the studies and papers which Cytori says supports their decision to make this a core application, but something came in between.

See title. I think I mentioned elsewhere that I often feel really tired and have little stamina and on top of that my muscles and joints ache. :evil: :cry: For that particular reason I decided to do blood tests for really everything under the sun, which is generally done and provide clues in which direction to work and yes- the suspicion I had (in view of the symptoms mentioned) that I have Vitamin D deficiency was confirmed.

With 6.0 ng/ml of Vitamin D (25-OH-D) I was way below the standards i.e. severely deficient, as recommended in Germany which is > 30 ng/ml.

If you believe the US experts on the issue Dr. Mercola for instance, the following table is even better:

Anyway- first some basics:

Vitamin D is important for good health, growth and strong bones. A lack of vitamin D is very common. Vitamin D is mostly made in the skin by exposure to sunlight. Most foods contain very little vitamin D naturally, though some are fortified (enriched) with added vitamin D. A mild lack of vitamin D may not cause symptoms but can cause tiredness and general aches and pains. A more severe lack can cause serious problems such as rickets (in children) and osteomalacia (in adults), described below.
Ultraviolet B (UVB) rays in sunlight convert cholesterol in the skin into vitamin D. For a fair-skinned person, it is estimated that around 20-30 minutes of sunlight on the face and forearms around the middle of the day 2-3 times a week is sufficient to make enough vitamin D in the summer months in the UK. However, for people with darker skin and the elderly, the amount of time needed exposed to sunlight to make enough vitamin D can be much more than this.
A main action of vitamin D is to help calcium and phosphorus in our diet to be absorbed from the gut. Calcium and phosphorus are needed to keep bones healthy and strong. So, vitamin D is really important for strong and healthy bones. In addition, vitamin D seems to be important for muscles and general health. There is also some evidence that vitamin D may also help to prevent other diseases such as cancer, diabetes and heart disease.

Actually- on the more serious relevance of good vitamin D levels, only recently data have become available- that is post 2000 really.

Some are really astonishing:

5 Illnesses Linked to Vitamin D Deficiency

Read this article : 5 Illnesses linked to Vitamin D deficiency

Natural Health Dr. Mercola has very much to say on the subject- also highly recommended:

Mercola on Vitamin D deficiency

BUT CAREFUL : Before taking supplements like crazy- make sure you take a blood test first - an overkill, that is too much Vitamin D is toxic and can damage your kidneys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtpinman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Vitamin D deficiency and its possible implications 26 Mar 2015 13:19 #3973

• CalhounDoppelganger
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Dr. Mercola is like a four letter word to Big Pharma.

He's a great resource for homeopathic remedies. However those "institutionalized" doctors would liken a guy like Mercola to those doomsday Austrian economists always citing the world's dependence on the Federal Reserve debt based Fiat Monetary system as just not self-sustaining. You can't put 10 marbles into a can and pull out 12. At some point usury needs to be abolished.

The reality is - medically industry is a business. Always has been and always will be. The FDA wants you to believe the Sun is bad for you (which I'm sure it is in enormous amounts) and they say "PUT SUNSCREEN ON NOW!" Only problem is ----the FDA refuses to regulate or label sunscreen!! Why is this bad? Well, we are slathering on industrial carcinogenic chemicals onto our body which are being absorbed into our skin and then baked by the sun. This causes....drum roll....CANCER. Skin cancer, breast cancer, shoot....take your pick.

I've been heavy on organic supplements for many years. I noticed the moment I started taking an abundance of anti-oxidants that I could spend hours in the sun with no adverse reactions other than a day of red skin. No pain and my body heals fast. I use strictly organic sunscreen now which is more of pain to slather on but hey, it feels good knowing that pollutants are not leaching into my pores.

Vitamin D deficiency and its possible implications 26 Mar 2015 15:03 #3975

• rothco619
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
ponderapharma.com/

I'm working with this company on a very interesting project.

Vitamin D deficiency and its possible implications 28 Mar 2015 11:42 #4004

• cytxer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I've had that problem, and suffered a lot. It's amazing how doctors don't want to test for that. I actually had a doctor told me it is not a big deal for men... It is a female doctor...

Anyway, Another female doctor (after years of searching for a good doctor) within two minutes said is was my D. and she was right.

95 percent of doctors are worthless.

Vitamin D deficiency and its possible implications 28 May 2015 13:00 #4580

• fas
Just this update:

As "reported" - I had a small trip through central-europe-mainly Italy- and since the weather was really lousy, visited a lot of places and did a lot of walking as a result.

Sounds normal, but for me it isnt. I am (legally) 100% handicapped and the main reason thereof is my inability to walk extended distances beyond say - 200-400 yards, due to arteriosclerosis in general and as a result severe PAD of the legs,

On this trip my wife was pretty amazed with the progress I made in climbing hills and walking longer distances (and a few more personal things :grin: ) and personally I am convinced that my improved Vitamin D level is one of the reasons of getting healthier and more energetic.

Early April I took 700.000 IU Vit D in 10 days (that is 70.000 IU per day) to get my level up from 6 to 60 ng/ml and have been taking 10.000 IU every other day since to "maintain" that status. June 11 I have an appointment at my practitioner to measure the serum levels again of all key organ and vitality criteria, to see where I really stand.

Of course- natural health does not come in a few weeks or months- that normally takes a lot longer, but I guess that you can relate to the above as a "super motivator" to hang on and continue the battle for health and old age.

This study I read today, is extremely supportive ... :happy:

Vitamin D Related to Measurement of Atherosclerosis
Lower serum vitamin D levels correlate with increased carotid intima-media thickness (C-IMT), according to a study recently published in March 2015. Carotid intima-media thickness is a measurement of atherosclerosis, which manifests as coronary artery disease, cerebrovascular disease, and peripheral arterial disease. It is estimated that these conditions will affect two of three men and one in two women after age 40.
The subjects included 926 postmenopausal women without carotid artery plaque or history of cardiovascular disease. The researchers measured serum levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 25(OH)D3 and assessed carotid intima-media thickness using ultrasound.
The median serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels were 11.03 ng/mL. As serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 levels decreased, carotid intima-media thickness increased. Additionally, the researchers found that even after controlling the data for potential confounding factors, the serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D3 level independently and negatively were associated with carotid intima-media thickness. Furthermore, this correlation remained even in a subgroup of women with normal glucose tolerance, blood pressure, and body mass index, and who were not on lipid-lowering therapy.
The researchers concluded, “Serum 25(OH)D3 level was inversely correlated with C-IMT in Chinese postmenopausal women.”

Reference: Hao Y, et al. PLoS One. 2015;10(3):e0122803.

There is no reason to assume that the conclusion would be different in caucasian men beyond their fifties. :yep:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtpinman

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Vitamin D deficiency and its possible implications 28 May 2015 13:59 #4581

• fas
I do not want to make this board too much of a "natural health" promotion medium, so this message is not a topic, but a mere addendum to the Vitamin D issue.

The below makes absolute sense and I have seen it with my former boss- a German aristocrat, who went every year in early January to Switzerland to spend 3 weeks in a clinic and did "controlled fasting" with plain tea and little else... :puke:

He always came back slim and full of energy... :whistle:

This is probably why :

(NaturalNews) What if the key to maintaining a vibrant immune system was simply not eating for a few days at a time twice a year? Researchers from the University of Southern California in Los Angeles say that periodic, prolonged fasting -- that is, not eating for between two and four subsequent days at a time -- not only protects against immune system damage, but it also promotes immune system regeneration, particularly in patients who are already immuno-compromised.
Valter Longo, an Edna M. Jones Professor of Gerontology and the Biological Sciences at the USC Davis School of Gerontology and director of the USC Longevity Institute, looked at the effects of fasting in both mice and humans, observing that when these mammals fasted, their white blood cell counts decreased. The result was that their bodies "recycled" old immune cells, thereby triggering the production of new immune cells to replace them.
Over time, immune cells can become worn out and stop functioning at optimal levels. It was previously believed that there wasn't much that could be done to overcome this apart from stem cell treatments. However, this latest research shows that periodic fasting cycles actually flip some kind of regenerative switch inside the body, altering the signaling pathways for hematopoietic stem cells, which generate both blood and immunity.

"We could not predict that prolonged fasting would have such a remarkable effect in promoting stem cell-based regeneration of the hematopoietic system," stated Longo, who holds a joint appointment at the USC Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences.

"When you starve, the system tries to save energy, and one of the things it can do to save energy is to recycle a lot of the immune cells that are not needed, especially those that may be damaged. What we started noticing in both our human work and animal work is that the white blood cell count goes down with prolonged fasting. Then when you re-feed, the blood cells come back. So we started thinking, well, where does it come from?"
Periodic fasting might help correct autoimmune disorders, including those brought about by vaccines
While the study focused primarily on chemotherapy patients whose immune systems are ravaged by this deadly poison treatment, the implications of the study also extend to other conditions like autoimmune disorders. By triggering the production of new, undamaged immune cells, fasting might help people who suffer from what the system has long claimed are incurable medical conditions.
As it turns out, prolonged fasting forces the body to use stores of glucose, fat and ketones as well as a significant portion of existing white blood cells. In essence, fasting acts as a type of detoxification, clearing out the old so it can be replaced by the new. The researchers say that the result is essentially the formation of a whole new immune system.
Specifically, prolonged fasting helps reduce levels of an enzyme known as PKA, or protein kinase A, which earlier research has found bolsters the regulation of stem cell self-renewal and pluripotency in addition to extending longevity. Prolonged fasting also helps decrease levels of IGF-1, a growth-factor hormone that's been linked to aging, tumor progression and cancer risk.

"PKA is the key gene that needs to shut down in order for these stem cells to switch into regenerative mode," says Longo.

"It gives the OK for stem cells to go ahead and begin proliferating and rebuild the entire system. And the good news is that the body got rid of the parts of the system that might be damaged or old, the inefficient parts, during the fasting. Now, if you start with a system heavily damaged by chemotherapy or aging, fasting cycles can generate, literally, a new immune system."

I think I will try that for 3 days too- 2x per year or so...so stay tuned. :bye:

Vitamin D deficiency and its possible implications 28 May 2015 14:49 #4582

• agamemnus
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Interesting theory.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites