Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Off Topic on Adult (=regenerative) cell technology, but very much related i.e. pills and drugs of which we do not know if they work
  • Page:

TOPIC: Activity report of yours truly

Activity report of yours truly 04 Nov 2013 09:09 #1020

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1115
Hi- this has been pretty much a lost summer for me in respect of working towards my future plans in respect of web publishing in the regenerative space, since I was chronically tired and exhausted and could not do much. Since I couple of weeks it has been better ( I will explain that later) and this post is to explain what I have been doing the past weeks, since there are plenty of changes.

I have invested 3-4 weeks in learning and doing things in respect of security and performance (speed) of my web sites. Basically testing , tweaking and checking on alternatives on my small sites and implementing the optimal results now here and on the other larger sites. This is my activity report if you like.

Site performance

The results you can see for your yourself whilst surfing here and expressed in numbers with you visit Google´s
Speedinsights

and try out my page. I get 69 for mobile now and about 72-76 for desktop, which is a 70% improvement over 2 weeks ago. I probably can get it up to 80 when I optimize the images with Smush it from Yahoo, but the bottleneck remains to be my server.
It responds in 1.2-1.5 seconds on a DNS call instead of the optimum of 200 ms for a professional server. Of course- since I am a hobbyist- I prefer to spend 50$ a month on a cheap server, which takes 1 second longer to load a site than a 500$ p/m server. :cool:
Mind you- if you put Yahoo.com in Pagespeed insights you get exactly the same values (55 mobile 75 desktop) :happy: :vegas:

Anyway- I have been working on all components of that evaluation- issue being with some of those, it effects the functionality of the site too much and one has to eliminate those improvements from your to do list.

Key for the main improvement is switching on caching modules on my Apache server and using a real fine Joomla caching software.
That works a bit like CDN (Content Delivery Network). I use Maxcdn (a US company) to deliver images, docs and javascript to your PCs and iPads from about 20 server locations in the US and approx. 6 in Europe. (costs only 40$ a year!). When you call up a page from my site it checks in nano seconds back to my server in Berlin, if there are changes to the called up page, calls them if there are and if not delivers from its repository (=cache). The same happens with content and stylesheets delivered from my server in Berlin. Comes now from a database repository, which delivers much faster than my Apache network server.

Anyway- on top of that I am decreasing HTTP calls dramatically- that is- no Yahoo charts, or social buttons, which require HTTP calls to those sites and slow down the loading process.

Please use the Adthis small icons for sharing or my own email button to share content with your friends. They are all located on top of most pages. I get nice weekly reports from them on the number of shares and clicks, which help me in my work.

Another request- please use the comment tool also if you can, so I can get some feedback on them. I never really understood why that feature is not used- its as good as the raccoon lodge (better even) and I will share those comments on a prominent place on the site.

Thats it on performance- two posts will follow on security and health tips for maturing folks from my own experience

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Activity report of yours truly 04 Nov 2013 09:12 #1021

• fas
Next activity report is on-

Security

Boy has this topic been giving me headaches. The site that I made for a client (a friend) was hacked 6 weeks ago. Actually it was done by a US citizen who used Vbulliten software to by pass my login and FTP and installed a cron job for delivering voice mails to a list of 2-300 accounts at hotmail, gmail and yahoo. It took me two weeks to find it all. First I did not have a clue what was going on and just deleted heaps of files, but after I installed a super security system, scans of my directories and a suspicious file rating system brought me to the asshole.

No surprise- my standing with Google mail etc is not very good. :cry: :cry: which I have to fix before I can send out newsletters and notifications again. I also saw- that for maybe similar reasons only 60% of my mails are opened. Most land in a spam filter, which I suggest you check in the future after I notify you that mails are coming your way again.

Anyway- I am VERY WELL protected right now (although there is NEVER 100% security). I can handle 90% of hackers or something like that. At least you will realize that managing a server and websites is no piece of cake. But I am getting better all the time. :grin: :winky:

On Cytx-investor.com for instance I daily had 100-120 spammers and 10-15 attackers a few weeks ago- now its down to only spammers (about 40-50 a day) who do not stand a chance with the scrutiny of posts, which is fully automated and which provide me no work besides looking at some statistics.
The following user(s) said Thank You: belgiumineurope

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Activity report of yours truly 04 Nov 2013 09:18 #1022

• fas
My health tips to "mature" i.e. folks my age

Is simply- stay healthy and try to avoid the stuff that have been pestering me and other folks :yep:

I retired 13,5 years ago due to developing health problems- and I did get my share as expected- MI in 2005 and colon cancer last year.

Basically I am OK now but this "exhaustion stuff" that I developed this year, appeared to be "obtructive apnea" i.e. snoring and stuff and not absorbing enough oxygen during sleeping which makes one wake-up and still being tired.

I wear this type of alien mask now when I go to sleep. But after 3-4 hours the machine almost ALWAYS goes beserk since I start to "move around" too much in my sleep and air escapes which the machine tries to compensate and blows like crazy. :KO:

Anyway- that is when I knock the bleeping thing off and really go to sleep. :grin:

Makes me feel a lot better though although it is frustrating. :bye:
Attachments:

Activity report of yours truly 04 Nov 2013 09:45 #1023

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Fas
Glad to see you are trying / using a CPAP mask while sleeping.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea puts a lot of stress on the heart and over time can even be responsible for MI's..or so I have heard.

Couple of thoughts that may help you.
Keeping a seal with a mustashe can be difficult at times...assuming you still have one as in your picture.
You can try tightening the straps further but too tight can cause skin breakdown.
You can try a full face mask..which covers nose and mouth...but that may bother you even more at night
You can try something called nasal pillows here and I assume the same there as well that instead of covering the full nose fits under the nostrils...this may be more comfortable and allow you to sleep through the night.

Of course, more time to get used to it may allow you to get through a full night as well.

Just some thougts.
BTW...some amazing stuff with running the site !

Activity report of yours truly 04 Nov 2013 11:22 #1024

• fas
Hedge-

Yes- I actually hardly looked at the image- this shows one that covers the nose only- mine is bigger and covers the mouth also.

My doctor obviously decided on this type after taking just a glance at my pride which I wear since I was an 18 year old. :grin:

Activity report of yours truly 05 Nov 2013 09:13 #1028

• d9dozrman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
fas, whatever you did, my Android loves you for it. Page loads faster than ever, very clean, with no annoying refreshing every 5 seconds. Time to create page was a swift .343 seconds. Well done!

d9 :cool:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.480 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites