Household affairs and private business
  • Page:

TOPIC: Unwanted visitors

Unwanted visitors 01 Oct 2013 08:47 #909

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1115
My server reported a "club of hackers" last night when I was sleeping and as such stopped many processes, but nowadays no site in this world can hold up against concerted efforts and eventually crashed. :bang:

That was the downtime today until I had the last nights back-up back up and am installing and configuring some additional security software. This might cause some problems here and there since tweaking is always part of the effort. :KO:

Anyway- let me know if you have issues that I do not see. That always helps!!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: d9dozrman, keysman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Unwanted visitors 01 Oct 2013 11:09 #910

• d9dozrman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
I was up early this AM, (needed my cytx-investor fix) unable to get to your site, but all seems fine now.

d9

Unwanted visitors 01 Oct 2013 11:30 #911

• fas
This is really crazy- I got the server up shortly before 8.00 am EST and immediately a red alert from my server. Installed my newly acquired software 10 Minutes later - configured it a bit and it went to green. It has already 26 blocked IPs based on the IP addresses listed in project "Honeypott" (that is 4hours later only), which is a global effort against hackers. My system is linked to that project and IPs get automatically blocked.
Thereto 3 IPs tried to get into my administration- everybody knows that this is the website address plus administrator/- you get a screen to log in than. I get a report now if anybody tries to do that, since its protected now with "secret word" additionally.

The world is full of evil folks, but one cannot change that, so I will implement additional security features tonight- everything looks ok now i.e. back in control.

If somehow you are recognized as a spammer instead of a normal visitor or subscriber to the site- mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Unwanted visitors 01 Oct 2013 11:51 #912

• keysman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Fas thanks for the email address. It's tucked away for future use, if necessary. Like D9 ,I like my Fas fix In the morning.

Unwanted visitors 04 Oct 2013 06:05 #921

• fas
I introduced most of the security measures and tweaking on my other sites- this one will be last and will be worked on today.

Some forthcoming interruptions are unavoidable.

Anyway- I am progressing- Google gives me 5 stars out of 5 now for site speed. When security is settled I should be in good shape. :happy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: joeycav11, keysman

Unwanted visitors 05 Oct 2013 07:07 #923

• fas
Everything went fine- the experience gained from the other pages was helpful and I have now professional software that protects me against spammers and hackers of the semi-professional type.

If you use the best browser (Google Chrome) you can see what it takes "to open of page" and see what resources are used- this is from my admintools documentation-

In order to figure out what is going wrong, we have to find out which of the files referenced by the page are throwing
a 404 error (this means that they are filtered out by Server Protection), their naming pattern and location. Provided
that you are using Chrome open up the Developer Tools pane by typing CTRL-SHIFT-J while viewing that broken
page. Click on the Resources tab and, if prompted, enable tracking resources for this session. The page reloads and
a list of files the browser tried to access appears:

Going through this, one can remedy errors- you will not find any now. :woohoo:

Unwanted visitors 06 Oct 2013 07:46 #926

• d9dozrman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Fas, thanks for all your hard work to keep your site up to speed, as it does make a difference. Currently I'm using Safari, OS 10.5.8. It is an older version, but still all works fine on this end. Are you contemplating adding the option for a mobile version? At one time, Joomla was available for my EVO, but not any longer, unless I am overlooking something. My phone wants to load the total web version, that causes some hick-ups.

d9
The following user(s) said Thank You: fas

Unwanted visitors 06 Oct 2013 08:39 #927

• fas
Thanks D9- very helpful

I still do have the free version of Mobile Joomla enabled, which comes with 4 templates for the different types of smart phones. Maybe it stopped working since I did not have my SEF template switcher enabled. It is now, so maybe you should try again. I pointed Mobile Joomla on the Raccoon Lodge, since here you have the most change in content.

Actually there is a specific mobile software for this (Kunena) forum. That costs though and I have other priorities to spent my low budget webpublishing money. If Cytori goes over 10-15 I hope to find 3-4 large shareholders donating 1000 $ a year so I can switch to a fast server - have my own high level DNS- and get all the software I need. Maybe that happens in my lifetime. :vegas:

Unwanted visitors 06 Oct 2013 21:28 #932

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Hi Fas

This afternoon I signed on at 3:37PM eastern in the USA and got the message blocked...identified as a spammer, hacker, ect.

At that time I was away and using a Mac computer with Safari...I used the same system at the same place to post the LAVD article and had no problems. Currently using MS explorer without problem.

Not sure if it was a tempory problem or something got changed when you upgraded last :cry: .

Unwanted visitors 07 Oct 2013 07:27 #934

• fas
:grin: Yes I saw that yesterday.

I have been a bit overzealous with security and configured an automatic one day blockage after 1 erroneous login attempt.
That happens also if you type your username/password wrong one time for subscribers of course.

I changed it back to 3 tries- so that will not happen so easily any longer.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites