× Cytori´s Platform applications

Hair growth with supercharged fat graft

20 Nov 2014 11:17 #2742 by fas
The next presentation we should know about from the IFATS conference last week in Amsterdam, was a presentation from Eric Daniels MD, now Chief Medical Officer at KeraStem, who spent 11 years with Cytori before leaving at his OWN will. That is rare at Cytori.
I always got along great with Eric- an MD who also has an MBA in Business Admin... :grin: and was even moonlighting as surgeon in the week-ends whilst working for Cytori.

HAIR FOLLICLE STIMULATION BY STROMAL VASCULAR FRACTION ENHANCED ADIPOSE TRANSPLANTATION
Presenter: Eric J. Daniels, MD Authors: Daniels EJ, Sforza M, Ball E, Perez-Meza D, Ziering C, Krishnan G, Daniels E Kerastem Technologies LLC
Introduction: There is an emerging interest in the role of adipose tissue in the context of the complex hair growth cycle. This interest has been elevated as a number of investigators have previously reported a positive change in hair growth subsequent to subcutaneous fat grafting. Our group aim is to further clinically explore this relationship.
Method: Nine healthy patients (eight men and one woman) with male and female pattern hair loss were treated by autologous fat transplantation, enriched with stromal vascular fraction (SVF) to the scalp. All nine patients underwent a routine syringe- based liposuction and adipose was separated into two aliquots. One aliquot was purified using a commercially available fat filtration system (Puregraft®, Puregraft Technologies) and set aside. The remaining tissue was digested to obtain concentrated stromal vascular fraction cells (SVF, Cytori Therapeutics). The SVF was mixed with the purified fat tissue and injected into the subcutaneous fatty layer of the affected scalp using fat grafting cannula. Patients are followed for safety and tolerability and for monitoring differences in hair growth. To track progress, we employ global photography and trichoscan analysis using a handyscope with micro-tattoos (Fotofinder). Trichoscan analysis allows us to quantitatively track the following parameters: hair count, hair density, anagen/telogen rates (48 hours later), and cumulative hair thickness (Figure 1). Follow-up is at 6 weeks, 12 weeks, and 24 weeks.
Results: Our early experience demonstrates an encouraging trend in 6-week trichoscan parameters, showing an average of 40% increase in hair count along with a 41% increase in cumulative hair thickness in the first two patients from the cohort. 6-month data on all 9 patients will be presented at the meeting.
Conclusion: The authors intend to present the following preliminary results for 9 patients: 6-month safety and hair growth data as well as review the cumulative experience with scalp stem cell enriched fat grafting in the treatment of alopecia. Figure 1 - Trichoscan analysis of hair count, hair density, anagen/telogen rates, and cumulative hair thickness.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

20 Nov 2014 12:02 #2743 by belgiumineurope
These seem nice results to me. 40% improvement in density AND thickness !! When you do a hairtransplant this doesn't increase the thickness of your remaining hairs.... Therefore I find this a great result !
Potentially a nice revenue stream to come because patients have always paid privately for a hairtransplant. A regular hairtransplant has a cost of 6 to 12k dollars depending on the number of hair follicles transplanted, so there is surely a market for Cytori here....and no scar for the patient !

28 Mar 2015 17:16 #4007 by DOV
Fas,

I have been looking for any updates on the remaining 7 patients. The Kerastem web site does not mention anything about this trial. Have you heard anything?

29 Mar 2015 05:43 #4009 by fas

I have been looking for any updates on the remaining 7 patients. The Kerastem web site does not mention anything about this trial. Have you heard anything?

No not really. Than again I have not been searching for anything. My contact with Eric went "dead" after he left Cytori, but we are still connected thru LinkedIn I believe. No harm to ask I presume. :yep:

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

• Not Allowed: to create new topic.
  • Not Allowed: to reply.
  • Not Allowed: to add attachements.
  • Not Allowed: to edit your message.
Time to create page: 0.978 seconds