Cytori´s Platform applications
  • Page:

TOPIC: Icebucket challenges?

Icebucket challenges? 29 Aug 2014 02:43 #2107

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1102
This summer everybody seems to be doing his thing in respect of ALS support. Thats good. Research is better though. :grin:

Fat cells seem to help

Alzheimer’s disease (AD) causes progressive death of brain cells and dementia. The loss of memory, coordination, and eventually motor function is relentless and horrific, and causes extensive suffering, financial pressures and loss. Stem cell treatments have been proposed as a treatment for AD, but such treatments have met resistance because of the complex pathology of AD. Introducing new neurons into the brain will do little good if cells are normally dying. However, some work with laboratory animals has suggested that stem cell treatments can benefit animals with conditions that approximately AD (see Kim S, et al., PLoS One. 2012;7(9):e45757; Bae JS, et al., Curr Alzheimer Res. 2013 Jun;10(5):524-31). However there are few studies that examine the therapeutic effect of mesenchymal stem cells from fat tissue or “adipose-derived stem cells” on mice with AD, and the effect of these cells on the oxidative injury that tends to accompany AD, and if these stem cells stimulate the generation of new neurons in the brains of AD mice.

Now we have evidence that transplantation of mesenchymal stem cells can stimulate for formation of new brain cells in adult rat or mouse models of AD and improve tissue structure and function after a stroke. Dr. Yufang Yan and her team from the School of Life Sciences at Tsinghua University, China transplanted adipose-derived stromal cells (ADSCs) into a part of the brain known as the hippocampus of mice that express the APP/PS1 transgene. Such mice show an AD-like disease, with memory loss and amyloid plaques that form in the brain.

Transplantation of ADSCs in these AD model mice decreased oxidative stress and promoted the growth of new neurons and glial cells in the subgranular and subventricular zones of the hippocampus, and, consequently improved the cognitive impairment in APP/PS1 transgenic AD mice.

These findings were published in Neural Regeneration Research (Vol. 9, No. 8, 2014), and provide theoretical and experimental evidence that ADSCs can be used to treat AD patients

This small article is taken from the blog of Michael Buratov - Beyond the dish
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Icebucket challenges? 29 Aug 2014 06:18 #2108

• Joncon63
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
They have raised a boatload of money that they have no idea how to spend yet. Perhaps Cytori should contact them with a suggestion

Icebucket challenges? 29 Aug 2014 07:22 #2109

• fas
  • fas's Avatar Topic Author
  • May the fat be with you
  • Thank you received: 1102
Most of the time, the money is wasted elsewhere, as we know from experience...

27% of donations are spent on research

I think this will be wasted on Cytori too.... at this point in time.. :yep:

Board moderator and Site-owner. I still regret the day I started analysing the prospects of MacroPore (now Cytori) back in 2004- a left-over from the tech-bubble at that time from the century change in my portfolio- and became addicted to Cytori´s fat cell technology. :cry:

Icebucket challenges? 29 Aug 2014 10:02 #2110

• myownhedgefund
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 199
The vast scope of medical applications attracted many of us to this sector for a investment....the problem if we are talking Cytori....what gets us beyond a phase 1 translational trial and a sustainable path to market before we are all old and grey ?

Cytori needs to sell something.....secret studies that they dont share with shareholders does little good when patients suffer real disease

Oh wait...to be fair...they did share SUI results where the number of diapers you use in a day will be reduced. SENIORS REJOICE !!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.559 seconds

Copyright Information

Copyright Fas Kuiters © 2016 young-foxes.com. All Rights Reserved.
This page is made with Joomla CMS and its various templates designed by Fas Kuiters with the excellent Themler tool.

Shared Spreadsheet Links

DOV´s Revised Projections for the Periods 2017 until 2020

Shareble link : HERE

Fas Kuiters Websites